John East MMSR 3 Knob 3 Band
The MMSR 3 Knob 3 Band has been designed with characteristics very similar to the original MM Stingray© 2 Band EQ, in order to retain the same interaction between the MM pickup and the electronics, crucial in creating the original pre EB sound colours. The Bass and Treble are stacked which allows inclusion of a Mid Sweep, along with original MM style bass and treble using a 3 knob plate. When the Mid boost/cut is centred, its effect is neutral and the EQ is purely late 70s MM style.
The MMSR 3 Knob 3 Band has been designed with characteristics very similar to the original MM Stingray© 2 Band EQ, in order to retain the same interaction between the MM pickup and the electronics, crucial in creating the original pre EB sound colours. Our circuit additionally has separate stages for the bass and treble, allowing us to further enhance and extend the bass control. The Bass and Treble are stacked which allows inclusion of a Mid Sweep, along with original MM style bass and treble on a 3 knob plate. When the Mid boost/cut is centred, its effect is neutral and the EQ is purely late 70s MM style.
- Single Knob - VOLUME
- Stack Knob - Late 70s MM style BASS / TREBLE / Pull for BRIGHT (Bright is similar to Sabre© bright toggle, but has a little more boost)
- Stack Knob - MID / MID FREQUENCY SWEEP (Mid Sweep 01 unit)
This unit is supplied fully wired with 1 single and 2 stacked pots including knobs, Switchcraft jack plus battery clip, which may be spliced into an existing battery box, as would be available in most MM style basses. There are screw terminals for the pickup connections for easy installation and a ground wire is provided to connect the bridge and any other grounding points/screening. Out of the box, just connect the pickup, snap on a battery, plug into a rig and you have sound, but remember that the grounding connections are crucial in attaining a solid installation.
The MMSR 3 Band can be supplied with or without a plate, but our plates will fit only SUBs and OLP basses. It will be necessary to use the existing plate on a standard MM bass.
NOTE: The MMSR 3 Knob 3 Band without plate, is suitable for the MM Sabre© too. The Bright function is a pull on the Treble pot.
What they say!
* Hi John! I received the preamp today. It's fantastic, the sound is the best i've ever heard and feel, the punch is awesome! Thank you very much John, i'll talk to my bassist friends of your awesome preamp! Francesco - Italy
* First I have to compliment you on your exquisite workmanship. I've never seen a piece of hand made electronics so cleanly executed and so neatly packaged. Your work and packaging easily rivals and surpasses *any* high-end electronics mass product out there! Also, the accompanying specifications, installations instructions and diagrams were very helpful. Last weekend I finally came around installing the MMSR 3/3 Knob into my 1986 Sabre. This preamp is absolutely great. The bass and treble controls work exactly like I'm used to from my other original MusicMan 2 band preamps. The additional bass boost is very welcome, and the treble boost switch is really usable. But the mid control -- of which the preselected band 100-1kHz is perfect; I tried the higher band, and the range above 1kHz is of little use -- is a class of its own! Very very nice. It adds another dimension of sonic possibilites to the already great sound palette of a two pickup Music Man bass. It's fantastic to accentuate the upper mids a bit when playing the neck pickup alone. Or to cut a bit of the overly barky mids when the bridge pickup is soloed. This preamp easily surpassed my expectations. I would highly recommend it to anyone in need of a MM 2 band replacement. I could even imagine replacing the original 3 band in one of my newer StingRays with 2 band plus mids. Thank you very much for offering such a great sounding and well executed preamp, which is much more than just a replacement. All the best. Oliver - Switzerland
* I finally found the time to fit the preamp between gigs. It has a fantastic sound and much quieter S/N ratio that the original. The mid sweep is ideal for cutting a bit of low mid when switched to humbucking or boosting for a massive dub sound. It is very close to a 70s MM sound. Well done on an inspired design, it's exactly what I needed! Ranald - UK